- This event has passed.
Basic Straw Blocking Techniques by Wayne Wichern
February 11 - February 12
Learn basic skills for blocking straw. Millinery students are often surprised how physical the hat blocking process is. You will be shown how to maximize your physical strength, leverage to control the blocking process, and how to efficiently tie off the straw materials on the hat blocks to maximize shaping efforts. Discussion and best uses of different straw products – parisisal, panama, toyo, seagrass etc. Learn when it is best to use a hood or a body/cartwheel for a particular shape.
Learn classic techniques and a few tricks to achieve consistent, professional finishes. With a deeper understanding of your tools and materials, you can determine what will give you the best results.
* Basic blocking skills for crowns and crowns with small, medium and large brims
* Blocking techniques for inverted brims – small, medium and large
* Blocking for invented shapes
* Blocking cord knots and other tie down techniques
* View, discuss and work with professionally made or invented hand tools
* Determine appropriate edge treatments for style and price point
* Easy steps for bound edges
* Techniques to manage a sewing machine to gain better control of precision stitching lines