- This event has passed.
April 24, 2019 - July 10, 2019
What you will learn
Learn the techniques required to produce stylish and contemporary hats for both men and women. Each term will focus on different materials and methods: felt in the autumn, straw and woven materials in spring and in summer, the development of patterns for both soft and structured hats will be in focus. Each course will cover a wide range of techniques to enable you to produce beautiful modern hats with a professional finish. Attendance on all three will provide a strong grounding in the core techniques of hat making. This is a structured course with an emphasis on design, creativity and use of materials and is suitable for anyone with an interest in the subject. No previous experience of hat making is necessary although it is useful to have sewing machine skills. Returning students may continue with their own projects.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- to develop your own patterns for both cut, stitched and structured hats
- to cut hats using the flat pattern method
- to select and use appropriate foundation materials and interlinings
- construct and finish hats to a professional standard
- to use your creativity to develop designs and explore shape and form
Tutor: Sarah Lomax