- This event has passed.
Silk English Rose – Japanese Technique
March 15, 2020
WITH GALINA KOFOD
In this workshop students will learn a famous Japanese flower making technique known as Somebana.
The flowers make using this technique look much more realistic than flowers made with the traditional French flower making technique.
Participants will go through all the stages of the process of creating flowers from the silk. This will include preparation of the silk, making patterns, dying silk, assembling and finishing techniques.
Students will learn to work with a wide range of Japanese style flower making tools.
Students will achieve some proficiency in Japanese Somebana flowing making techniques.
At the class, the students will make a stunning, silk English Rose. They will know how to modify the rose to make a fabulous peony.
Cost of the class is 185 Euro, it includes flower making materials.
The duration of this class is 7 hours, from 10 am to 18 pm with one hour break.
To secure your place at the class a deposit is required. Please pay it here
The deposit is refundable, less a service fee of 12 Euro, if you cancel your place before 15th February.
The balance should be paid before 15th February. Pay the balance here.
I will be teaching in English. Much of the class is visual learning and we will have a translator.
- Soldering Iron. Wand MUST be able to fit Tutor’s tools if you don’t have your own (recommend style here)
- Flower making tool heads for soldering iron (desirable, but optional). The Tutor will provide flower making tools for you to work with in the class. The students can buy a set of brass flower making tools and a soldering iron from the Tutor. These have to be ordered and paid for at least one month before the class so the Tutor can post them directly to you or the Venue of the class.)
- Pen & pencil.
- Scissors to cut silk
- 3-4 soft, flat, medium (0.25-0.5 inch width) paint brushes
- Piece of thin, cotton material, bed sheet thickness, 30cm square minimum
- 1-2 pieces of foam rubber, 15cm minimum, 5mm thick
- Hard Japanese glue. You can buy it here. This wood glue is specially designed in Japan for silk flowers, it dries very quickly and doesn’t leave any marks. We will need a lot of this glue for silk English rose.
- Bath Towel
- Small Towel
- Piece of thin, stiff plastic (10 x 15cm minimum) such as a plastic folder
- Tweezers; a standard pair (required) and a pair with a round end (optional, could be bought here )
- 3-5 white or clear jars/plastic cups to mix dyes
- Wire cutters
- Long nosed pliers
- Thin wooden skewer