- This event has passed.
Virtual The Art of Feather Work: A Comprehensive Guide
November 17, 2021
This course is aimed at:
- Those wanting to learn how feathers can enhance their designs and understand how to use different methods to dye and burn feathers.
The course will involve:
- A guide to the construction and attributes of feathers
- An introduction to different types of feathers and how they can be used in millinery including, goose, hackle, turkey, ostrich and peacock amongst others.
- Information on preparing feathers for use and sources of feathers
- Time will be spent practicing the art of manipulating feathers, by cutting, shaping, curling and bending feathers to create a feather library with over 25 techniques
- Learning how to create a feather mount out of your desired feathers
- Practising how to create a wired feather mount
- Watching a demo on dyeing feathers in different ways
- Watching a demo on burning feathers with bleach
Skill Level: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced Required – Any Level
Student Supplies (Minus sewing kit):
- Thread to compliment your choice of feathers
- 10-20 pheasant tail feathers (please note there is flexibility on the type of feathers needed, these could be coque or another long feather)
- 30- 50 Goose Nagoire feathers (must have a soft spines to them)
- A selection of other feathers quantities and types flexible and could depend on the fullness of mounts you want to create, numbers given are a minimum – 15 Biot feathers, 15 hackle feathers, variety of statement feathers of your choice i.e. peacock swords
- Wire – options are Paper covered wire 22 / 26 gauge, this can be florist or cake making wire x 3 pieces or metal jewellery wire approx 30cm – (0.5 gauge)
- Uhu glue or other
Required Classroom Amenities (sink, sewing machine, etc):
- Tray to cut into
- Hair curlers
- Small Sharp scissors ideally with a pointy tip
- Normal scissors
- An understanding of different feathers and their capabilities and application in millinery
- The ability to manipulate feathers.
- A variety of feather samples to create your own feather library
- An understanding of how feathers should be treated in order to make them millinery ready.
- A feather mount ready to attach to a design of your own, and the skills to create more.
- A wired feather mount ready to attach to a design of your own, and the skills to create more.
- Understanding and ability to follow the demo on how to burn feathers
- Understanding and ability to follow the demo on how to dye feathers in different ways.
- Information on suppliers and materials.