- This event has passed.
PROFESSIONAL HAT MAKING: STRAW AND SINAMAY
January 18, 2019 - April 5, 2019
What you will learn
For high fashion or everyday hats, this course will introduce you to professional hat making from straw and sinamay. Materials made from plant fibres have been used to make hats for many thousands of years and the techniques used to create beautiful shapes are relatively simple to learn. This course will enable you to produce your own stunning creations for both men and women, trimmed to perfection. Beginners to the subject will be introduced to basic methods of production but if you have existing skills, you will be encouraged to research and develop your design skills alongside your technical abilities. All students will be encouraged to pursue their own project work where appropriate. The course is suitable for anyone interested in the subject. No experience is required although it is desirable to be competent at hand sewing.
By the end of the course you will be able to
- To develop designs for hats in straw and sinamay
- To steam, block and cut a variety of straw materials
- To use appropriate methods to construct hats
- To develop and use trims using appropriate methods and materials
- apply a good finish to hats of your own design
Tutor: Vesna Pesic